Source: Hueiyen News Service
New Delhi, November 04 2009: "We are aware of the boycott issue in Manipur and it is considered as top priority to be addressed by the Centre.
We are in the process of finding a solution and are in constant touch with the state government and I am hopeful that classes will resume shortly," Naveen Verma, Joint Secretary of (NE), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, is quoted to have said during a meeting with the representatives of a group of Manipuri professionals residing across India today.
According to a statement issued by the representatives of the group, Manipuri professionals residing across Indian met with Naveen Verma, Joint Secretary of (NE), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, and apprised him of the ongoing class boycott.
The citizens concerned have also submitted a memorandum to impress the State government in finding a solution to end the boycott called by various organisations in the state of Manipur.
The meeting lasted for over two hours.
The group stated in the memorandum that the inability of the State Government to end the stalemate between the student bodies and the government could have long-term consequences to students in Manipur.
The memorandum seeks an immediate solution to defuse the deadlock over boycott of educational institutions in Manipur.
"We, as citizen of Manipur strongly condemns any act of violence and we will support any attempt that will bring peace in the state of Manipur.
However, we believe that bringing peace at the cost of thousands of students is unjust," said a representative of the group.
The group reiterated that the present situation in Manipur calls for the Government to react swiftly to find a solution to the ongoing political and social imbroglio.
The group expressed concern over numerous reports about a possible dialogue between the agitators and the government, which has so far yielded no result, a serious concern for the parents whose children has been affected by the boycott.
As a part of the memorandum, the group submitted a copy of Tahelka magazine which carries the photos of the alleged fake-encounter killing on July 23rd in Imphal.