Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finally the Section 377 struck my mind.

I was just sitting tired and sipping coffee so that I can at least clearly see the face of the professor teaching in the class. There is no energy left with me to listen and concentrate on something after a long self-digging session in office. It was my first day in family law class. After office I run to attend the class but there was no professor so just passing my time by reading some old sms. Most of my classmates are 40-50 years old. The next man sitting besides me was discussing about the guy/lesbians/bisexuals and section 377. I was trying to convince myself, no argument in the first class. I know it’s a bad habit for me.




But I couldn’t resist anymore. Few words from his big mouth ignite my much provoked mind. He was discussing for a protest against legalization of guy marriage or homosexual marriage and calling them as mentally ill as commented by baba Ramdev. My first question must have shocked him. Why did you marry a woman instead of a man? He answered me what can I marry then?? There starts the argument. We have only three ladies in the whole class as most of ladies opt for the afternoon and morning session. Yes, I’m among the minority in the class. The conversation was quite interesting and I had a nice time arguing with them and later on I was afraid of something. Oh! They must have thought that I’m also seeing a woman and henceforth I’m so much concerned about such issue. They must be thinking that I’m hurt with their words. Oops!! Let it be. Who cares?? That’s what I told myself.



The first gay marriage in Imphal was really a great step taken by them despite of the fact that their family opposed the marriage and separated later on. But why should we care only about how long a marriage last. Even for the marriage among the heterosexuals last less than 24 hrs these days. But the way they were separated was illegal. I don’t know how far Manipur is concerned about the law and its implementation as we are so much bound by norms society. Even after the decriminalization of same sex marriage by the constitution the poor gay couple was separated by filing a case by the parents of the bride. My question goes to the legally bound authority who has accepted the case registered against the married couple. Don’t they have any such updates that such marriages are no more illegal and why should they register a case against those who are willingly agreed to live together? It’s a violation of the sec 14 and 21 of the constitution itself.

We need to change our views on such change in the society. The problem of gay or homosexuals can not be solved by ostracizing them from the society. They existed just like us from the beginning of the human race. Everybody must have watched Mahabharat and it witnessed the existence of the homosexuals from that era. Why should we still have to ignore their existence as a human in our society?



If we keep on protesting against their survival then we are responsible for destroying our own society. I really feel pity for the gay (commonly known as homo in Manipur) having such a terrible life in home. Their emotions are played by some monsters to enjoy their hard earned money. Most of the theatre artist, make-up artist and local designers are run by the gay in Manipur. The Manipuri digital cinema world is survived because of the gay community taking an important role as a backstage artist. We never recognize their inputs in the society but enjoy their show just like they are puppets without a soul. It’s time to accept them to survive in their own without any obstruction from us. If we think deeply they are more responsible citizens of Manipur who are working hard to survive against all the odds and objections from the society instead of picking up gun in hand and involving in extortion & militancy.



Hope our brothers in home can learn some lessons from the gay community for a better and peaceful Manipur.

No comments:

Post a Comment